1.27.2011

welp...

last night was not awesome.

got home from work, opened the mail, and had a letter from one of the lenders for my student loans letting me know that my payments would be doubling in march. for the next 216 months.

so, basically, i'll be about 43 when i'm done paying this loan back.

also, THE PAYMENTS DOUBLED.

when i first graduated from college, i went through the 6 month grace period and then opted for the "graduated plan" where they lowered my payments for a few years, but after that time was up, they would increase signifigantly.

i knew it was coming, i guess i just hope it wouldn't?





i had a breakdown.







but of course d eventually calmed me down.

its just so disappoiting. even if i completely eliminate two of my monthly payments by paying off the balance of my credit card and my gap card, i won't be ahead because the doubled loan payment makes up for it.

so my grand plan of having extra money to save is not so grand now.

i'm not going to give up, and as d pointed out, this would have sucked even more than it already does if i hadn't made a committment to do this spending fast already. i made the choice on my own volition..not because i had to.

timing is everything right?

so, the project continues, and i have all the more reason to live simply and spend wisely...because unless i make smart choices and pay more than the minimum, this stupid loan is going to be hanging over my head until i'm in my 40s...and that is just totally unacceptable to me.

gah.

chin up, right?

special thanks to d, the man of my dreams, who makes everything ok when it seems impossible.

xoxo

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Believe me when I say that I completely understand. This exact situation happened to me three months ago. I'd lost track of when the graduated payments began, so it felt like a kick in the gut to get that letter in the mail. Dustin is right--it's so great that you had already decided to do this fast, and hopefully in the long run, you'll pay the loan off faster with the principles you learn over the next year.

I've been trying to follow your example and haven't been to Target in three weeks, which is huge for me. Let's hope that lasts!