1.10.2013

first birthday on the spending fast

i mentioned in my "prep" post that i unsubscribed from most of the email lists i was on--but i decided to continue receiving emails from my two favorite grocery stores, kroger & giant eagle. (sometime in the near future i'll share my "coupon guide" and explain what i like about each of those stores more specifically.) saw that giant eagle will have roasts on sale -- by one get one free, so i'll be stopping by this evening after work. this past weekend i was feeling especially domestic and used a really simply crock pot roast recipe and it turned out great--and it was enough food to provide 2 people with about 3 meals (using leftovers, i mean.) using leftovers and getting several meals out of one purchase is a great way to get the most bang for your buck. i'm always on the look out for recipes like that.

today is also my little sister's birthday, so i'll have to make my stop into giant eagle a quick one. we're having dinner at my mom and step-dad's house tonight to celebrate, and i made the cake. just used a box mix, and it was a flavor i've never made before--butter cake, per her request. i'm not sure if it turned out the way it was supposed to, but i guess we'll see! i'll be sure to snap some pics of the cake "decor"--it's something most of you nerds will probably appreciate (no spoilers!)

holidays and birthdays are a struggle for me because my instinct is to spoil my loved ones with gifts and prizes and miscellany--especially when it comes to my little sister. this year, i'm crafting something neat for her--i think she's going to really like it, but i'm bummed out because i didn't finish it in time to give it to her tonight at the shindig. lesson learned--crafts take time, so it's worth planning ahead to make sure gifts are ready on time. there will be a post on this particular craft soon--not before i'm able to give it to her, though!


No comments: